AccademiaVino is proud to be the first WSET Approved Programme Provider in Italy offering an online distance learning option for wine enthusiasts and professionals who wish to earn a Level 2 qualification but find it difficult to attend classes in our venues around Italy.
Studying online offers you the flexibility to fit your studies around your commitments and lifestyle. Each of the qualification courses is based around a structured week-by-week programme of activities with set starting and ending dates, and you will be guided on the number of hours of study needed for each week. However, the courses have no fixed study times so you will be able to plan your weekly studies to suit your personal lifestyle. All WSET online qualification courses are designed to be interactive and make learning more accessible and engaging. The courses utilise social media to allow you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of an experienced WSET tutor.
It will be assumed that you have basic computer literacy and internet navigation skills. No previous wine training is required.
The Level 2 Online Course lasts five weeks
The course is based around a 5 week structured online programme of 6 hours study per week. However, the course has no fixed study times, so you may plan your studies to suit yourself.
Method of Study
The course utilises social media to allow students to study alongside their peers under the guidance of a WSET tutor. You will be able to exchange notes, impressions and information with classmates all around the world. Each week includes a series of online group activities to help students look behind the label and recognise the styles produced by the main grape varieties and in the key regions.
Factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery. Food and wine pairing. Sales and Service. Responsible drinking
- Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Discover how to decode and understand labels
- Learn to taste and describe wines like the professionals using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Study the correct way to store and serve wine, how to recognise common faults found in wines
- Discover the key considerations when pairing food and wine successfully
- Guide to sensible drinking
White grape varieties
- Learn about the characteristics and the styles of wines produced from the main white grape varieties and the regions producing them
- Key white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Other White Grape Varieties: Albariño, Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Grigio/Gris, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano, Verdicchio, Viognier
- Other White Wines: Muscadet, Soave, Gavi
- Countries: France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
Black grape varieties
- Learn about the characteristics and the styles of wines produced from the main black grape varieties and the regions producing them
- Key black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz
- Other black grape varieties: Aglianico, Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Zinfandel/Primitivo
- Other red wines: Douro, Valpolicella
- Countries: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
Sparkling wines. Sweet and fortified wines. Spirits and liqueurs.
- Learn about the various methods for making Sparkling, Sweet and Fortified wines, the resulting wine styles and the regions producing them
- Study the main styles of spirits
Revision & Examination Preparation
AccademiaVino students receive at home the full WSET Level 2 Study Pack, which includes:
- Course Workbook
- Tasting Card
In addition, you will receive a set of 6 ISO tasting glasses in our exclusive carrying bag. You will be able to collect these either during our optional free tasting tutorial or, if you decide not to attend this, on the day of your examination.
Recommended Private Study
It is recommended to schedule a minimum of 6 hours study time each week. If English is your second language, you should probably increase to compensate for the challenge of studying in a foreign language. Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study.
Guided tasting is an essential part of your learning. At the beginning of the course, you will receive from WSET a list of general styles of wine that you will need to taste as part of your online activities.
Optional free tasting tutorial
During your course, Accademiavino offers you the opportunity to attend a free tasting tutorial to coincide with the first session of our classroom courses. This is an optional extra, but if you have a chance to be with us on the published dates, it is recommended. There is no charge, but we do require that you book your participation at least two weeks in advance, and we reserve the right to cancel tutorials up to one week before the date if we do not reach a minimum number of participants.
This is the only time you must physically come to one of our classroom venues. Each course has a default examination date, which is the earliest scheduled examination after the end of your course. However, you are not bound to this date. You can leave the examination open and decide later, as long as you take it within one year after finishing the course and book at least three weeks in advance. If none of our scheduled examinations suits you, you can even arrange a private examination. As exam papers are issued directly from WSET and must be immediately returned to London, if you choose a private date, you will have to pay a surcharge for administrative and courier costs. The exam consists of a 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. In order to pass you need to reach a mark of at least 55%.
As this course is taught online, you will require access to a computer (recommended) and/or HTML5 compatible mobile or tablet with the following minimum requirements:
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Internet access (broadband recommended)
All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin. There is no difference between certificates obtained through an online or a classroom course, and no mention of the style of course attended is made on the certificate itself.
It is recommended that you book at least two weeks in advance so you can receive your Student Pack before the start of the course. Registration closes ten days the course starting date. If payment has not been received by the deadline, the booking will be canceled.